Wet and Windy Hiking and Camping Trip Dorset Jurassic Coast

Thanks! Share it with your friends!

You disliked this video. Thanks for the feedback!

Added by
My other Dorset/Jurassic Coast hiking video:

The 'friendly reminder' guy: https://instagram.com/ucanoutdoors?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Filmed September 2022

#leavenotrace #hiking #jurassiccoast

I was umming and aahing about whether to take this trip. There had been storms all week and massive downpours of rain. They were not due to stop any time soon. I went anyway.

Starting in Weymouth on a surprisingly warm and pleasant day (given the forecast), after a bit of lunch and a walk around town I made my way up the cliffs around to Durdle Door (with a couple of deluges thrown in, but for the main part I stayed dry). Just before darkness fell around 8:30, and everybody had left the beach, I climbed into my bivvy just in time to avoid the rain and did a bit of reading before falling into a deep sleep before 9:30. I'd had a long week at work, and had to walk fast to get from Weymouth to Durdle Door before sundown, so I was pretty tired.

The next day started fairly gloomy and VERY windy, I woke up whilst it was still raining but fortunately it stopped after a couple of minutes in time for me to jump out the bivvy and get packed up and on the move. Within an hour I was at Lulworth Cove, where I met a chap who'd just finished the entire South West Coastal Path and informed me that the path along the coast towards Kimmeridge was currently closed as the military were using the land as a firing range. Apparently this is a thing, and how I didn't know about this before I do not know! Usually the path is open at weekends and out of school term times but there are exceptions so this has to be checked online. A long walk inland ensued before arriving back on the coast at Kimmeridge Bay. A few tough miles, up and down cliffs battling against intense wind and rain, and I was finally at Winspit Quarry, my campground for the night.

I'd had nother decent sleep and it was a much nicer morning. I went on a mission across the cliffs to Swanage, stopped for breakfast then the final part over Old Harry Rocks, Studland and then on the ferry to Sandbanks where I finished. The weather was pretty bad by then and my feet had blisters, so a bus it was to Bournemouth where I'd catch a train home.
Commenting disabled.